VOIP has become a force to be reckoned with in the telecommunications industry, with many individuals and businesses saving considerable time and resources by opting for a relatively inexpensive voice over Internet protocol – VOIP. VOIP has many advantages and disadvantages.
Advantages of VOIP
– The main advantage is the amount of money that you end up saving on your telephone bills compared to a traditional telephone line.
– Economical and easy to use. Since it is simple, the update is also relatively simpler.
– You can integrate it with an existing telephone connection.
– With PC-to-PC VOIP, calls are free regardless of distance and PC-to-phone charges are nominal.
– For a monthly fee, you can make unlimited free calls within a geographic area.
– A virtual number allows you to make calls from anywhere as long as a broadband connection is available.
– You can buy a number in a geographic area of your choice, which is very cheap. If your family and friends live in Virginia and you moved to California, you can buy a Virginia number and make local calls to your loved ones.
– You can access your VOIP account as well as your email ID from anywhere in the world as long as you have an internet phone. This makes it easy for frequent travelers to make frequent calls to those at home at local calling rates, no matter where they are.
– You can call or text or do both at the same time with VOIP services.
Disadvantages of VOIP
– Loss of service during outages.
– Without power, VOIP phones are useless, so in emergencies during power outages, it can be a huge disadvantage.
– With VOIP emergency calls, it is difficult to locate you and send help in time.
– Sometimes during calls, there may be periods of silence where data is lost while being decrypted.
– Latency and traffic.
– No standard protocol is applied.
The downsides of VOIP can be annoying, but its effects are relatively limited. VOIP complaints are usually tolerable if the callers use a free service. As technology advances, we hope that the quality of VOIP will match traditional telephone technology.
These are some of the advantages and disadvantages of VOIP. Said and done, we could say that the advantages of VOIP outweigh its disadvantages.